Did you know that 1 in 5 Australians have a literacy or language issue? Many of these problems, however, can be supported by putting in place the right literacy support.
It can be overwhelming just knowing where to begin. For staff in schools, there may be predetermined pathways that you are required to follow to look for answers, however outside of the school setting, it can be tricky to know where to start.
Here at Dystech, we’ve tried to make it a little easier for you by creating a repository of organisations from around Australia that support students with literacy difficulties in a variety of capacities.
Reading Support in Australia categories
A person who can provide support intervention.
A person who can provide a diagnosis of specific learning differences.
You can contact each specialist by clicking on their name on the map. You will be directed to their website for further information, including their contact details. Each organisation provide reading support in Australia or assessment.
We have included some questions below that you might ask to determine whether you think they will be a good fit for your requirements.
This list is not exhaustive, and we encourage you to ask any that are important to you and are relevant to the professional you are looking to engage.
Dyscover is the new way to assess reading performance online, try it now on your students.
Some questions to consider are:
- How long have you been working with students who struggle with literacy?
- What are your qualifications, certifications, or credentials?
- Have you worked before with kids or adults who have trouble with the same skills as my child?
- How will you get a sense of my child’s needs?
- What strategies have you found are most helpful when you start to work with a student?
- Can you tell me a little bit about your teaching philosophy?
- What kind of results can I expect to see, and what happens if my child doesn’t make progress?
- What can I do to support the process?
- How will you communicate with me, and how often?
- How will you work and communicate with my child’s teachers?
- How do you measure progress?
- Will my child have any homework?
- Do you offer group sessions?
- Do you have references I can speak to?
- Can I see your Police Check / Working With Children Check / Professional Registration?
- What’s your availability?
- Where will the tutoring sessions take place? Online or in-person?
- Do you need me to attend with my child?
- How long is each tutoring session?
- How much do you charge per session?
- Are there other fees (for materials or assessments, for example)?
- What’s your policy for cancellations and make-up sessions?
For information on how to use Dyscover within your educational setting to easily and quickly assess and track your students’ progress, please click here.
Map of organisations providing reading support in Australia
Missing an organisation?
If you are an allied health professional, literacy specialist, literacy clinic, or educational or developmental psychologist and would like to be added to our map, please get fill out this form